Skip to main content

Shifting from Tool-Focused to District Goal-Focused PD




For the upcoming school year, I'm focusing on three areas where I want to improve when designing and leading PD sessions:
  • Shifting from tool-focused to district goal (or pedagogy) focused PD
  • Trying new strategies to differentiate and support individualized progression
  • Providing more time for meaningful collaboration to promote active learning
I was recently asked to lead an "Intro to Google" PD for a group of first-year teachers in a few weeks, so this is my first chance to try to work on these goals. This group is a cohort of teachers in our BRIDGE program, which is an alternative teacher preparation program.

To try to shift away from being tool-focused, I did the following:
  • Talked with my supervisor to get a better understanding of our district goals
  • Asked our Content Specialists what skills new teachers would need to get started using our district curriculum guides and resources
  • Asked the BRIDGE instructors what skills these teachers would need to be successful in the first few months of this program
  • Reflected on the challenges and areas of frustration that teachers shared over the last year as they were trying to navigate Google Workspace for Education
After taking all of those areas into consideration, I arrived at a framework for introducing this group to Google for Workspace skills. We will explore, discuss, and learn new skills through the lens of these three themes:

Access

One of the basic skills we need to make sure new teachers understand is how to access their Google Drive. However, this past year has also shown us that we need to regularly look for ways to ensure that all of our students have access to quality learning, whether that is in-person or remotely. We can do that by helping teachers learn how to utilize tools such as Google Classroom and Sites to house and organize learning materials.

Efficiency

If there is one thing that is a challenge for new teachers (and really ALL teachers), it is having enough time! Between planning, grading, answering emails from parents, and all of the other things on their plates, teachers never seem to have enough time to get everything done. If we can use technology to streamline some of those tasks, then they have more time to plan really engaging lessons for their students. 

Collaboration

One of the greatest benefits of using Google Workspace in the classroom is how easy it is to collaborate. Meaningful collaboration among students can increase engagement and lead to really powerful learning experiences. The ability to collaborate with colleagues can also really benefit new teachers as they develop their skills in planning and designing lessons. 


I'm hoping this will be a meaningful way to organize the skills and concepts during our PD sessions. 

What are your PD goals for next year?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of School

We just wrapped up our first week of school! I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know our new 5th grade students! Here are some of the activities we did to start building our classroom culture and learn more about each other: "All About Me" Google Drawing Students learned how to use some of the basic features of Google Drawings by creating a Drawing about themselves. The basic requirements were that they include their name, a picture of themselves, and text/images that describe their personalities or interests. I created an example to give them an idea of what it could look like.  I used this activity last year, and I really enjoyed what my students created. However, I decided this year to give them more time to just play with and explore the tools in Google Drawing. I feel like this really paid off because students were able to discover how to use some of the tools and share with each other instead of just relying on me to show them how to use it.  ...

#OneNewThing: Adobe Spark

This week I tried using Adobe Spark Video for the first time. I'm enrolled in Tony Vincent's ( @tonyvincent ) Classy Videos course, and our assignment this week was to create a narrated slideshow.  When you first log in to Adobe Spark , you can choose which type of product you want to create: I chose to create a video to persuade students and parents to attend our upcoming Back to School Night. Adobe Spark provides some templates for you to use, or you can choose to create your video from scratch.  I used the "Promote an Idea" template for my project. Once you have chosen your template, it's time to start creating! There are some basic menus inside of the video creator. These allow you to choose things such as layout, theme, and music.  You can also add narration to the slides by pressing the red button with the microphone icon at the bottom of each slide. I wrote up a brief "script" for each slide so that I wouldn't forge...

Differentiating PD - Skill Checklists

In a previous blog post , I shared three areas where I want to improve when designing and leading PD sessions. One of those goals was the following: Try new strategies to differentiate and support individualized progression I want to share one new way I am trying to address this goal in an upcoming PD session for a group of first-year teachers. One of the things I was asked to do in this session was to help teachers learn and practice Google for Workspace skills that they will need in order to effectively plan for the first few weeks of school. As I began to plan for this PD, I reflected on the following challenges: These are brand-new teachers and I don't know what level of Google Workspace skills they already have I want to make sure the learning is meaningful, regardless of their current skill level I do not have enough time to show them everything they might need to know, so I want to leave them with a resource they can revisit when they need it I decided to create leveled ...