Skip to main content

First Week of School



We just wrapped up our first week of school! I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know our new 5th grade students!

Here are some of the activities we did to start building our classroom culture and learn more about each other:


"All About Me" Google Drawing


Students learned how to use some of the basic features of Google Drawings by creating a Drawing about themselves. The basic requirements were that they include their name, a picture of themselves, and text/images that describe their personalities or interests. I created an example to give them an idea of what it could look like. 

I used this activity last year, and I really enjoyed what my students created. However, I decided this year to give them more time to just play with and explore the tools in Google Drawing. I feel like this really paid off because students were able to discover how to use some of the tools and share with each other instead of just relying on me to show them how to use it. 

Here are some student examples:



Flipgrid Introductions


Students created their first Flipgrid videos by introducing themselves and sharing something that makes them smile. They had a really good time using the stickers and other tools to decorate their selfies! 

This year, I definitely want to spend more time giving feedback on their speaking skills. I also want to model and give more time for students to reply with constructive feedback to their peers. 


Padlet Boards

Students shared information about themselves using Padlet boards. These are a great tool for brainstorming, sharing projects, and exit tickets. 

Here are two of our Padlet boards from the first week of school:

First Day










Favorite Food




So, those were some of the highlights from our first week of school! What activities do you enjoy doing with your students?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#OneNewThing: Adobe Spark

This week I tried using Adobe Spark Video for the first time. I'm enrolled in Tony Vincent's ( @tonyvincent ) Classy Videos course, and our assignment this week was to create a narrated slideshow.  When you first log in to Adobe Spark , you can choose which type of product you want to create: I chose to create a video to persuade students and parents to attend our upcoming Back to School Night. Adobe Spark provides some templates for you to use, or you can choose to create your video from scratch.  I used the "Promote an Idea" template for my project. Once you have chosen your template, it's time to start creating! There are some basic menus inside of the video creator. These allow you to choose things such as layout, theme, and music.  You can also add narration to the slides by pressing the red button with the microphone icon at the bottom of each slide. I wrote up a brief "script" for each slide so that I wouldn't forge...

Differentiating PD - Skill Checklists

In a previous blog post , I shared three areas where I want to improve when designing and leading PD sessions. One of those goals was the following: Try new strategies to differentiate and support individualized progression I want to share one new way I am trying to address this goal in an upcoming PD session for a group of first-year teachers. One of the things I was asked to do in this session was to help teachers learn and practice Google for Workspace skills that they will need in order to effectively plan for the first few weeks of school. As I began to plan for this PD, I reflected on the following challenges: These are brand-new teachers and I don't know what level of Google Workspace skills they already have I want to make sure the learning is meaningful, regardless of their current skill level I do not have enough time to show them everything they might need to know, so I want to leave them with a resource they can revisit when they need it I decided to create leveled ...