Skip to main content

Script the Critical Moves

 


"Ambiguity is the enemy. Any successful change requires a translation of ambiguous goals into concrete behaviors. In short, to make a switch, you need to script the critical moves." (p. 53)

I just finished Chapter 3 of the book "Switch," and I've been thinking a lot about how I can do a better job at "scripting the moves" to better support our teachers as they try new strategies and tools in their classroom. In particular, I have been reflecting on how I can use the steps in the 5-Step Coaching Model to help with this.

Here are some ideas:

Identify a specific challenge

During the first step of the coaching cycle, coaches work collaboratively with teachers to identify a specific challenge. This is an essential step if we want to help script the moves teachers will need to make in order to change and improve their practice. 

Sometimes teachers are so overwhelmed with challenges that it's difficult to get them to focus on just one. They keep jumping from issue to issue or (especially during the past year) from tool to tool. One strategy from the Google Certified Coach Curriculum is the Gripe Jam. I've used this strategy several times and it has really helped teachers who aren't quite sure where they want to start. 

Build SMART goals to address the challenge

During Steps 2 & 3, coaches work with teachers to identify and select a strategy. One way to make sure this goal is specific is to set SMART goals. This will make it clear to both you and the teacher how you will both know that a goal has been met. That will help to avoid the "ambiguity" that can often derail efforts to change practice. 

Identify sub-goals to support strategy implementation

During Step 4, coaches work with teachers to implement the strategy the teacher has chosen. A really important part of this step is the "Goal Setting Meeting." During this meeting, coaches help teachers identify sub-goals to support teachers as they try to implement new strategies in their classrooms. As the authors point out in the book, the hardest part of change is in the details. Therefore, this step is where coaches can really provide teachers the support they need by identifying the concrete steps they need to take during their lessons in order to reach the identified goals.

How do you "script the moves" in order to drive change?
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Awesome Projects for January!

This week has been super busy! But it's that awesome kind of busy where I am working on multiple projects for January that I am SUPER excited about!  Kinders on Chromebooks We are preparing for our 3rd Quarter EdTech session, and we are planning to include resources specifically designed for our K-2 teachers. We want to create videos in which we model strategies that K-2 teachers can use to help their students learn how to login to Chromebooks. My EdTech teammate reached out to the Kindergarten team at one of our schools, and they were kind enough to open their doors to us!  We will be working with this team on the first day back from Winter Break in January. Our plan is for me to lead the first session while another EdTech team member records the lesson and assists students as needed. We will be sharing the video footage, along with other K-2 resources, with our teachers during our sessions throughout the 3rd Quarter. This week I am trying to build a Google Site th

Create an Instagram Story!

One day on Twitter, I came across a tweet from Ryan O'Donnell ( @creativeedtech ) in which he shared a Facebook template that could be used for students to demonstrate their learning. I clicked on the link to his website , and I was AMAZED at all the cool templates he had created for teachers to use for free!  I decided to try using an Instagram template during a unit on the planets in our solar system. I wanted students to demonstrate what they learned about the different planets, but I wanted them to do it in a creative way.  Here are the directions I gave to my students: Here are some student examples: Student Example #1 Student Example #2 Student Example #3 Student Example #4 I really enjoyed this activity, and I love how students familiar with hashtags were able to create and use them in clever ways! If I was to go back and do this again, I would spend some time working with students less familiar with social media and hashtags and give them some more

Setting New EdTech Goals

Last week I accomplished an edtech goal that I have had for the past year - I was selected as a Google for Education Certified Educator! Yay! This was a really big goal of mine, and I'm really proud of myself for following through on it. The most challenging part for me was creating the video because it involved talking about myself. It felt SUPER awkward.  This seems like a great time to set some new edtech goals! Present at an EdTech Conference I really want to start presenting and sharing ideas at edtech conferences. I love going to edtech conferences because I always learn something new, and I think that I have some ideas to share that might help other teachers try new things in their own schools and classrooms. There is an EdTechTeam Summit coming to Phoenix in March. I think that would be a great opportunity to try submitting a session proposal! Become an ISTE Certified Educator In September, I began the process of becoming an ISTE Certified Educator .