Skip to main content

Click-and-Drag Activities with Flippity Manipulatives



Flippity is a free website that has a wide variety of Google Sheet templates which you can use to create fun classroom activities, such as flashcards, scavenger hunts, and quiz shows. As a classroom teacher, I loved using the Random NamePicker tool because I could easily create random groups of students for classroom activities. Each activity includes a demo, instructions, and a free template. 

I recently tried a new activity on the website called Flippity Manipulatives. This template allows you to use a Google sheet to create a set of click-and-drag objects. It's pretty easy to set up, and once I started experimenting with it, I started thinking of so many different ways that teachers could use it in the classroom!




Here is a quick video I made to introduce teachers to the basics of how to get started:




Example Activities


I made a few example activities to demonstrate how this tool could be used in different content areas:


Classroom Use


There are many different ways teachers could use these activities in the classroom. Here are a few ideas:

  • Station Activity
  • Whole Group Practice
  • Partner Activity
  • "Engagement" activity at the start of a lesson
  • Pre-Assessment
  • Review
  • Student-created sort


Teachers are able to...

  • Create sorts with words, phrases, images, and/or videos
  • Add custom backgrounds, as well as remove any default background options
  • Add color to words and phrases
  • Reuse an activity as many times as they want to

Students are able to...

  • Work on an activity at the same time without affecting each other
  • "Reset" the activity when done, which is helpful if they are sharing computers
  • Take a screenshot of a completed activity and turn it into Google Classroom


I am looking forward to working with teachers and discovering all the different ways they can integrate this tool to support student learning!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of School

We just wrapped up our first week of school! I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know our new 5th grade students! Here are some of the activities we did to start building our classroom culture and learn more about each other: "All About Me" Google Drawing Students learned how to use some of the basic features of Google Drawings by creating a Drawing about themselves. The basic requirements were that they include their name, a picture of themselves, and text/images that describe their personalities or interests. I created an example to give them an idea of what it could look like.  I used this activity last year, and I really enjoyed what my students created. However, I decided this year to give them more time to just play with and explore the tools in Google Drawing. I feel like this really paid off because students were able to discover how to use some of the tools and share with each other instead of just relying on me to show them how to use it.  ...

#OneNewThing: Adobe Spark

This week I tried using Adobe Spark Video for the first time. I'm enrolled in Tony Vincent's ( @tonyvincent ) Classy Videos course, and our assignment this week was to create a narrated slideshow.  When you first log in to Adobe Spark , you can choose which type of product you want to create: I chose to create a video to persuade students and parents to attend our upcoming Back to School Night. Adobe Spark provides some templates for you to use, or you can choose to create your video from scratch.  I used the "Promote an Idea" template for my project. Once you have chosen your template, it's time to start creating! There are some basic menus inside of the video creator. These allow you to choose things such as layout, theme, and music.  You can also add narration to the slides by pressing the red button with the microphone icon at the bottom of each slide. I wrote up a brief "script" for each slide so that I wouldn't forge...

Differentiating PD - Skill Checklists

In a previous blog post , I shared three areas where I want to improve when designing and leading PD sessions. One of those goals was the following: Try new strategies to differentiate and support individualized progression I want to share one new way I am trying to address this goal in an upcoming PD session for a group of first-year teachers. One of the things I was asked to do in this session was to help teachers learn and practice Google for Workspace skills that they will need in order to effectively plan for the first few weeks of school. As I began to plan for this PD, I reflected on the following challenges: These are brand-new teachers and I don't know what level of Google Workspace skills they already have I want to make sure the learning is meaningful, regardless of their current skill level I do not have enough time to show them everything they might need to know, so I want to leave them with a resource they can revisit when they need it I decided to create leveled ...