Skip to main content

Setting New EdTech Goals




Last week I accomplished an edtech goal that I have had for the past year - I was selected as a Google for Education Certified Educator! Yay! This was a really big goal of mine, and I'm really proud of myself for following through on it. The most challenging part for me was creating the video because it involved talking about myself. It felt SUPER awkward. 






This seems like a great time to set some new edtech goals!


Present at an EdTech Conference

I really want to start presenting and sharing ideas at edtech conferences. I love going to edtech conferences because I always learn something new, and I think that I have some ideas to share that might help other teachers try new things in their own schools and classrooms. There is an EdTechTeam Summit coming to Phoenix in March. I think that would be a great opportunity to try submitting a session proposal!


Become an ISTE Certified Educator

In September, I began the process of becoming an ISTE Certified Educator. The certification is based on the ISTE Standards for Educators, and it recognizes "educators who use edtech for learning in meaningful and transformative ways." I attended a two-day, in-person training with a cohort of other educators. That was followed by 5 weeks of online learning, which I just completed a couple of weeks ago. 

Now comes the most challenging part of the process: I have six months to assemble a portfolio that demonstrates my learning. The portfolio is made up of artifacts and detailed reflections that provide evidence that I have mastered the ISTE standards. I know it will be challenging, but I'm excited to get started to learn more about the standards!
     

Observe Blended Learning Classrooms

In my last few years as a classroom teacher, I tried to incorporate blended learning models into my classroom. I read as much as I could about how to blend learning effectively, and many of my first ideas and strategies came from Catilin Tucker's blog posts and books. 

This model really helped me understand how I could rethink the way that teaching and learning looked and felt in my classroom, and I think it could be really transformative if used on a wider scale in a district. I would love to work with teachers in my new district and help them create effective blended learning environments at their schools. 

I know that transitioning to blended learning can be a challenging concept for most teachers. While I have my own experience to share, that's just one specific subject area and grade level. I need to see how this looks and works in a variety of grade levels and subject areas. I can look for resources and examples online, but I think it is really important to try to visit classrooms and see it in action. I need to start reaching out to principals and teachers in my own district and in neighboring districts to see if there are some places where teachers are trying this model already.


I'm super excited to work on these goals over the next 6 months! What are some goals you have set for yourself? I would love to hear them! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Week of School

We just wrapped up our first week of school! I really enjoyed meeting and getting to know our new 5th grade students! Here are some of the activities we did to start building our classroom culture and learn more about each other: "All About Me" Google Drawing Students learned how to use some of the basic features of Google Drawings by creating a Drawing about themselves. The basic requirements were that they include their name, a picture of themselves, and text/images that describe their personalities or interests. I created an example to give them an idea of what it could look like.  I used this activity last year, and I really enjoyed what my students created. However, I decided this year to give them more time to just play with and explore the tools in Google Drawing. I feel like this really paid off because students were able to discover how to use some of the tools and share with each other instead of just relying on me to show them how to use it.  ...

#OneNewThing: Adobe Spark

This week I tried using Adobe Spark Video for the first time. I'm enrolled in Tony Vincent's ( @tonyvincent ) Classy Videos course, and our assignment this week was to create a narrated slideshow.  When you first log in to Adobe Spark , you can choose which type of product you want to create: I chose to create a video to persuade students and parents to attend our upcoming Back to School Night. Adobe Spark provides some templates for you to use, or you can choose to create your video from scratch.  I used the "Promote an Idea" template for my project. Once you have chosen your template, it's time to start creating! There are some basic menus inside of the video creator. These allow you to choose things such as layout, theme, and music.  You can also add narration to the slides by pressing the red button with the microphone icon at the bottom of each slide. I wrote up a brief "script" for each slide so that I wouldn't forge...

Differentiating PD - Skill Checklists

In a previous blog post , I shared three areas where I want to improve when designing and leading PD sessions. One of those goals was the following: Try new strategies to differentiate and support individualized progression I want to share one new way I am trying to address this goal in an upcoming PD session for a group of first-year teachers. One of the things I was asked to do in this session was to help teachers learn and practice Google for Workspace skills that they will need in order to effectively plan for the first few weeks of school. As I began to plan for this PD, I reflected on the following challenges: These are brand-new teachers and I don't know what level of Google Workspace skills they already have I want to make sure the learning is meaningful, regardless of their current skill level I do not have enough time to show them everything they might need to know, so I want to leave them with a resource they can revisit when they need it I decided to create leveled ...